[wplug] asus a7n8x mobo NIC modules

Tom McCullough mccull1 at attbi.com
Fri Mar 21 18:54:02 EST 2003

Dave Neuer wrote:

>You had to mess w/ the header file for the 3Com
>controller?

Yes.  The first attempt failed with the following error;
walloc.h deprecated use wslab.h instead.  as for the compile script, the
compile options below had to be changed:
    m-486   to   march=i386
    falign-loops=2   to   malign-loops=2
    falign-jumps=2   to   malign-jumps=2
    falign-functions=2   to   malign-functions=2
    DCPU=486   to   DPCU=386
note that I am running an 1800+XP with Red Hat 8.0 and the supplied
2.4.18-14 kernel.

>That's probably not a good idea. I'm also confused as
>to why you were compiling anything if you've to binary
>drivers on the CD.

The 3com module comes as 3c90x.h and 3c90x.c with a compile_UP script
and a compile_SMP script and an install<somethingoranother> script.  the
nvnet module is part of nvidias all-in-one RPM file for the bridge
chips.  It is closed source I think.  It appears to be for RH 7.3 and up.

>If you built your kernel from source, you should try
>just using the stock kernel driver for the controller

there is no stock module for the new 3com NICs.  it is based on the
3c920 ASIC.  3c59x does not cover that chip.