[wplug] stuck in console mode

Lance Tost ltost at pobox.com
Thu Mar 20 17:14:37 EST 2003

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, Evan DiBiase wrote:
> Joe,
>
> Which distribution are you using? As Chris mentioned, startx should get
> you into a reasonable X session, but there might be a better long-term
> solution.

For at least RedHat, you define your default runlevel in /etc/inittab.
Runlevel 3 is multi-user text console while 5 is multi-user graphical.
These definitions differ by OS (ie., 5 in Solaris is "power off" so it
would be Bad to set that as your default) but I'm not sure how much they
differ between Linux distros.

The line to look for is:
id:5:initdefault:

In my inittab, there's a description of the runlevels directly above that
line:

# Default runlevel. The runlevels used by RHS are:
#   0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#   1 - Single user mode
#   2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have
networking)
#   3 - Full multiuser mode
#   4 - unused
#   5 - X11
#   6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)

--
Lance Tost <ltost at pobox.com>