[wplug] Reverse DNS lookup problems

Lance Tost ltost at pobox.com
Thu Mar 20 16:12:49 EST 2003

On 20 Mar 2003, Scott Bourns wrote:

>  I noticed someone mentioned a problem with their ISP and reverse DNS
> lookup problems they had with some FTP sites. How do you check to see
> that is a problem with your ISP?

Find your IP... ifconfig eth0 probably... then nslookup <ip>  You may want
to query outside of your ISP to make sure it's being delegated properly.
ie., they could have reverse dns set up but if no other nameservers know
that, it won't help.  For that you could use the tools at
http://www.dnsstuff.com... use the box labeled "Reverse DNS lookup".  You
should get a hostname back.  What the hostname is isn't as important as
having the IP resolve to a hostname.

--
Lance Tost <ltost at pobox.com>