[wplug] wget

Bob Schmertz rschmertz at speakeasy.net
Wed Mar 19 17:32:19 EST 2003

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, Chris wrote:

>I have been reading the man pages on this but can't seem to find what I am
>looking for.  I might have missed it.  I don't know.  How do you use
>wildcards for file names?  There are many files in a directory that I want
>to download.  They are all named with numbers.  I tried path/*.exe, but I
>get an error saying that wildcards are not allowed.  All the files that I
>want are going to change from time to time, but should still be named with
>numbers.  Am I going to have to write a script that just goes from
>00000000.exe to 99999999.exe?  I hope not.

The following quote from info (on a not-so-new Red Hat system, wget v.
1.8.1) seems to cover everything.  Is the system you're trying to "get"
from a Unix system?

-----------Begin--------------
-g on/off'
`--glob=on/off'
     Turn FTP globbing on or off.  Globbing means you may use the
     shell-like special characters ("wildcards"), like `*', `?', `['
     and `]' to retrieve more than one file from the same directory at
     once, like:

          wget ftp://gnjilux.srk.fer.hr/*.msg

     By default, globbing will be turned on if the URL contains a
     globbing character.  This option may be used to turn globbing on
     or off permanently.

     You may have to quote the URL to protect it from being expanded by
     your shell.  Globbing makes Wget look for a directory listing,
     which is system-specific.  This is why it currently works only
     with Unix FTP servers (and the ones emulating Unix `ls' output).

--
Cheers,
Bob Schmertz
rschmertz at speakeasy.net