[wplug] Linux or Windows

James Kramer jmkramer at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Mar 19 16:13:27 EST 2003

In the linux versus windows debate:

Last week I purchased a Fujifilm mx-1200 for $65.  Great camera.  Took the
camera out of the box and went out and snapped a few trial photos. Went
home to check out the photos on my PC.  The camera came with a Windows CD
so I decided to use Windows to get a quick look at the photos.  Using
windows, I was able to download thumnail prints but I could not figure out
how to download the images.  I spent approx. 2 hours messing around with
it.  I then decided to use Linux with gphoto and downloaded the prints
effortlessly after a few minutes of configuration.

Yesterday, a technician from a local ISP installed DSL in my house.  He
was familiar with Windows so after connecting the modem he used windows
to connect to the intenet.  Windows was able to ping out to the internet
(13ms to my provider), however, we could not connect the web browsers to
the net.  Apparently the web browsers were still trying to use my
(windows) disabled
dialing modem.  After messing with this for about 0.5 hour with no success
I used Linux and issued "ifconfig" with my IP and netmask and "route add"
with the gateway.  The connection was up and running in less then 5
minutes using Linux.
Just thought I'd relay this.
Jay