[wplug] Desperately seeking SuSE - My RH8 dilemma

Coutch, Robert Robert.Coutch at tvratings.com
Wed Mar 19 11:27:10 EST 2003

Here's what I did.

Downloaded kernel patches from kerneli.org.
Attempted to make modules by adding KDIR=/usr/src/linux-2.4.18-26.8.0
directive.
Failed because .config was not found.
Copied /usr/src/linux-2.4.18-26.8.0/.tmpconfig to .config

Modules finally compiled.

Moved the cipher-twofish.o module to /lib/modules ...... /crypto/ciphers.

Even though Red Hat 8 has cryptoAPI and cryptoloop already there, losetup
doesn't support them - Go figure.

I loaded an older losetup that supports cryptoAPI from an rpm.

Created the loopback device (losetup -e twofish /dev/loop0 /root/test.img).
[test.img was created as a Twofish encrypted jfs file system].

Everything going well until I issued the mount command (mount -t jfs
/dev/loop0 /root/TEST).

SEGMENTATION FAULT

I quit for the night - so close and yet, so far !

I tried to compile loop_fish2.c using a Makefile for kernel modules
but I got a TON of errors that seemed to come from the RedHat header files
- hmmmmmm.

The funny part (not really) is that Red Hat 8 comes with the crytpoAPI in
the kernel as well as
cryptoloop and cipher-aes modules but you can't use them without patching
your kernel sources and rebuilding.

Is there some sort of legal problems in the USA with cryptography?
It's been in SuSE (made in Germany)since 7.2 and no patching is needed.

Just wondering.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Bob