[wplug] Audio CD autorun problem, RH 7.3

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Mon Mar 17 08:34:27 EST 2003

Sometime in March TC Linux assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| Thanks for the reply Frank.....nice choice of music btw....
|
| It seems related to groups then and who is allowed to use what, but as
| far groups, 'wheel', and 'sudoers' I have no idea what you're talking
| about there...LOL.....I'll look for a file called 'sudoers' and the sudo
| command in the mean time

i think this has something to do with permissions. when i login to my
computer, the permission for things in /dev like /dev/hdc (my cdrom device)
and /dev/dsp are changed to my user and some other group. so for example:

$ ls /dev/hdc
brw-------   1 harrold  disk      22,   0 Apr 11  2002 hdc

now i'm not sure what process does this. i'm using kdm as my graphical
login manager and i'm using kde as my desktop environment. does anyone else
know what changes the permissions on the devices?

sudo is a nifty program that lets you easily execute programs as another
user, like root. so if you wanted to edit a file in /etc you wouldn't have
to login as root, you would just have to do something like:

sudo vim /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.con

and then you would be editing the file as root. this assumes you've got
sudo setup properly. my naive answer would be something to do with that
wheel on the mouse, but i know that's not it. a little googling and you
have this:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=39A6D6E2.724E6D6C%40trailing-edge.com&output=gplain

john harrold               | "They that can give up essential
     jmh at member.fsf.org |  liberty to obtain a little
/"\                        |  temporary safety deserve neither
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign  |  liberty nor safety."
 X  against HTML mail      |
/ \                        |  Benjamin Franklin
gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E
--Henry David Thoreau