[wplug] Daylight Saving Time

Ivan Jager ivanj at terere.res.cmu.edu
Fri Mar 14 17:37:14 EST 2003

On 2003.03.14 12:22 Lance Tost wrote:
> NTP is very valuable (I use it on all servers at home and work)...
> however, it has nothing to do with timezones.

Except that if your clock is set to local time instead of UTC, it will allow
your computer to see what time it really is and adjust the time apropriately.

If you want your computer to set itself for daylight savings time
automatically, it needs to know what time it really is, so that it can tell
what time is local time. So basically, if you have your clock set to "local
time", and local time changes, you need to adjust your clock, but if you have
it set to UTC, UTC stays the same when your local time changes, and the clock
doesn't need adjusting. This is why you should set your clock to UTC if at
all possible.

Ivan