[wplug] noob

Tim Lesher tim at lesher.ws
Fri Mar 14 15:02:36 EST 2003

On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 12:28:20PM -0500, Brian Medley wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 12:19:30PM -0500, Mike Griffin wrote:
>
> > since you're going to be setting up an email server on redhat, I'd
> > suggest that you stay away from the 'monolithic blob' they call
> > sendmail. I know i'll get burned for this statement, but I think you'd
> > be better off going with exim or qmail.
>
> Another option would be postfix.  Unless rh changed something in 8.0
> postfix should be available on the CDs and can be switched to w/ the
> alernatives cmd (alernatives --config mta).

I'll second postfix, particularly for ease of configuration.  Postfix
configuration is much easier to understand and remember, particularly
if you're only a part-time sysadmin and don't keep the configuration
syntax in your mental "cache".  I only have to do mail config changes
maybe once every few months, and it takes me much less time to
remember how Postfix works than it did for sendmail.

I've heard that postfix isn't quite as fast as sendmail, but
anecdotally I have no problems.  I run Postfix on a Pentium 90 with
64MB of RAM (which also doubles as a web server for two small sites),
and it's plenty enough horsepower for three active mailing lists (run
by Mailman), one of which has about 250 members and averages a few
dozen emails per day.

--
Tim Lesher <tim at lesher.ws>
http://www.lesher.ws