[wplug] noob

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Fri Mar 14 13:14:14 EST 2003

Brian Medley wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 12:19:30PM -0500, Mike Griffin wrote:
>
>> since you're going to be setting up an email server on redhat, I'd
>> suggest that you stay away from the 'monolithic blob' they call
>> sendmail. I know i'll get burned for this statement, but I think
>> you'd be better off going with exim or qmail.
>
> Another option would be postfix.  Unless rh changed something in 8.0
> postfix should be available on the CDs and can be switched to w/ the
> alernatives cmd (alernatives --config mta).

	redhat-config-packages will help you install postfix (and any
dependencies it might have)

	and

	redhat-switchmail-gnome will allow you to switch between mail
servers (it's RH's interface to the "alternatives" framework)
	(note  - I may be having a brain fart on that one as I have been
dealing with the beta and the "mail" tool might not be in there)

	and

	redhat-config-services will allow you to select "start up" services
based on run level, as well as dynamically start (and stop) those services

..all of this assumes you're in the GUI (some have command line counterparts
(switchmail) some do not)

	Consider the installation of SpamAssasin at the same time.

	Command line stuff to learn might include "service", "chkconfig",
and "rpm"

	I highly recommend the RH docs - hopefully, you pulled that CD when
you pulled the install binaries.  If not - it's all on-line @ redhat.com  A
little reading will save you much heartache.

Don