[wplug] noob

Lance Tost ltost at pobox.com
Fri Mar 14 12:34:16 EST 2003

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, Mike Griffin wrote:
> since you're going to be setting up an email server on redhat, I'd
> suggest that you stay away from the 'monolithic blob' they call
> sendmail. I know i'll get burned for this statement, but I think you'd
> be better off going with exim or qmail.
>
> I've used an x486 machine as a mail server before with no problems. A
> pentium class machine would do you well.

Hardware is cheap these days... this box would make a fine low-end server:
http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=90217&Category_Code=SOHO
for under $400.  There may be arguments against sendmail but this isn't
one of them imho.

I've tried postfix in the past... never tried qmail... but always end up
reverting back to sendmail for various reasons.  At work, we use PerlMX
(now PureMessage) for spam filtering from Active State and it tends to
play nicely with sendmail.  At home, it took me less than an afternoon to
set up sendmail+spamassassin on my redhat 8 box.

--
Lance Tost <ltost at pobox.com>