[wplug] can't boot my red hat 8.0 box to the new kernel

James O'Kane jo2y at midnightlinux.com
Tue Mar 11 17:05:32 EST 2003

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, Teodorski, Chris wrote:
> someone smarter than me will have to explain why this worked.......I was
> just trying different things.....I don't understand what the "=LABEL=/"
> means

ext2/3 filesystems have a space somewhere for a label for the filesystem.
Basically a name. The LABEL=/ is telling grub or the kernel, (I don't
think it matters for this discussion) where the root filesystem (aka /)
is. It seems like your / doesn't have that label, so it can't be found.

For example:
[root at kitty root]# /sbin/e2label /dev/sda5
/var

You can set the label with e2label as well.
Check man e2label or  http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net for more info.

-james