[wplug] can't boot my red hat 8.0 box to the new kernel

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Tue Mar 11 15:27:11 EST 2003

Go to /var/spool/up2date and look for the kernel rpm (it may not be there if
up2date cleaned up after itself)

if there, run:
rpm -ivh "kernel-rpm-name" --force

DO NOT use -F as this will remove your functional kernel.

I suggest re-installing the kernel as "something is wrong" (to overstate the
obvious) and I have not had up2date botch a kernel upgrade for me.

If that fails, look at the bootloader config file and edit accordingly
(provided you can figure out how - I suggest gedit if you've got gnome
installed).  I'd be curious to learn what OS you loaded first, and what
options you gave on partitioning (remove parts, initialize disk label, etc).

FWIW - you may want to run:
up2date --configure

...and set it to
1) NOT upgrade kernels (voided, of course, if you check to install them
anyway - which I generally don't do unless there's a major issue with the
kernel on my system)
2) NOT remove the rpms after install / upgrade - but keep in mind there will
be lots of trash left in /var/spool/up2date

Opinion:
Too many Linux users have Windows Fever.  Upgrade only when required.  Every
one of my boxes sit behind a corporate firewall, and unless the update in
question is a functionality fix (and so few of them are) I tend to wait on
updates.  YMMV.

Don