[wplug] Double your fun?

Coutch, Robert Robert.Coutch at tvratings.com
Mon Mar 10 11:18:58 EST 2003

Be careful when sharing a /home between two distibutions.
Unless you have the same versions of KDE, Gnome, etc because each time you
install and run new software there will be some config files (in your
/honme) and one version's config may mess up the other vesion and vice
versa.

I run SuSE 7.3 and added Red Hat 8.0 to another partiton. I share the same
swap partiton but each has its own /home. I only used one partions for RH8
as this is just a test to see how well I like it.

I mount all the partitions so I can access files across distributions.
My RedHat /usr/local/games is linked to my SuSE /usr/local/games so I dont
have to reinstall my games.
I add a link to one version's /home into the other verision /home.
For example:
In my SuSE /home/coutchre directory there is a link named "RedHat Home" that
points to /mnt/RedHat8/home/coutchre
-and-
In my RedHat .home/coutch directory there is a link named "SuSE Home" that
points to
/mnt/SuSE/home/coutchre

I use lilo and had to add an entry for Red Hat 8 to boot.
I'm not sure how to set up grub for this.

I think lilo is much simpler to use but that's probably because I don't use
grub very often.
I set up grub for dual boot one time and didn't like all the steps required
to get it working.