[wplug] switching from cable to DSL

Mike Griffin mgriffin at dmrnetworks.com
Fri Mar 7 20:32:18 EST 2003

I had Verizon, Stargate, DirectTV, and now I have Speakeasy DSL.
Stargate and DirectTV worked over Verizon phone lines and are capped at
768/128. I had the 1.5/384 package with all the ISPs listed above and
the highest download speed I had was 90k/sec. With Speakeasy my download
speed averages 160k/sec. Maybe it's the area I'm in, but either way it's
a great improvement compared to the other ISPs.

With DSL, you're not going to see anywhere near 230k/sec download
speeds.
Remember the speeds are measured in bits, so 1.5Mbits/8 = 187kbytes/sec
not including tcp overhead. Distance from the CO also effects your
speed.

Mike

Of