[wplug] switching from cable to DSL

Matthew Danish mdanish at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Mar 7 21:46:04 EST 2003

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 05:44:50PM -0500, Tom McCullough wrote:
> I just got a letter that attbi (soon to be ComCast) is going to raise
> the internet rate for non-cable TV subscribers from $43/mo to $58/mo.!!!
>  I am going to switch to verizon DSL for $35/mo.
> 1)  Does anyone have experience with this transition?
> 2)  What kind of download speed can I expect relative to Cable? ( I have
> seen as high as 230k/sec or about and hour and 10 minutes for a
> reasonably full CD image download from a quiet site ).
> 3)  How painless is the conversion in RH 8.0 on the Desk Monster and
> 4)  Debian Woody on a Compaq Presario 1655 Laptop?

a) It's not $35/month, it's $35/month for the first 3 months and then
$55/month after that.

b) that's for 768/128 service, which boils down to about 85K/s
downloads, and 13K/s uploads.

c) I have 1500/128 service, which costs ~$65/mo.  I get ~180K/s
downloads.  You aren't saving any money by switching, at least, when
comparing bandwidth.

d) Using a DSL router such as those from Linksys or D-link is probably
your best bet.  Then you can connect with simple Ethernet, and the few
tens of $ you spend save you the hassle of figuring out PPPoE.
bensbargains.net always is posting deals on these routers, check that
out.

P.S. I might be off by ~ $10 on the prices, I don't remember off-hand.

--
; Matthew Danish <mdanish at andrew.cmu.edu>
; Signed or encrypted mail welcome.