[wplug] switching from cable to DSL

Coutch, Robert Robert.Coutch at tvratings.com
Fri Mar 7 18:21:23 EST 2003

You'll want to read up on PPOE.
Check google.

You'll need it to get things working with Verizon.

I don't like to use a PC for internet connections because I have several
connected
to my home network.
I like a separate hardware unit for the connections.

I currently use Star Gate and my network (at home) is connected via a
Netgear RM-356 modem router (very Linux friendly).

I'll be making the switch to Verizon and purchased a Linksys Cable/DSL
router with 4-port switch and 802.11b built in.  It has the PPOE stuff on
board.

I don't like to use a PC to share the internet connection because when it is
down, no one can use the net. I shut them down every couple of weeks to
clean the dust out and check the fans.

The router is always on so no one gets disconnected during maintenence.

My wife and kids use Windows PC's so the added security of NAT in the
routers is nice.

The Linksys ( Its something like BEFW11S4) is less than $100 (after rebate)
and features a web interface, DHCP, several WAN setups (PPOE, direct, PPP,
etc), port blocking and forwarding and the box can be used as a gateway or
router.

PPOE on Linux did not look complicated from what I saw. If you choose that
route (hey, a pun).

BTW - When you speak to Verizon and you have more that one service, they
will bundle them at a discount. They might not mention this to you so you'll
have to bring it up to them.

I have them for my local phone service and if I sign up for long distance
and DSL too,
they claim my monthly phone bill will be around $65/month for the whole
package.

If you have a cell phone with them, more discounts.

Hope it works out for you,

Bob