[wplug] kickstart config redhat 8.0

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Wed Mar 5 09:43:26 EST 2003

John Harrold wrote:
>> host my_host_hostname {
>>    option host-name "my_host_hostname.example.com";
>>    hardware ethernet 0X:X0:7X:8X:XE:XX;
>>    fixed-address XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX;
>> }
>>
>> 	....but there's no substitute for knowing what you're doing when it
>> comes to editing .conf files - you likely need to have better
>> declarations in other sections as well.
>
> indeed. i just didn't know where kickstart was getting the
> information. i assumed it was getting it from the first line:  "host
> my_host_...". it made sense at the time.
>

> so now i have another question about kickstart. i have this problem
> where i generate cfg files that i suppose are invalid. the only way i
> know of to test them is to copy them to a floppy and try to install
> redhat. if it fails, the python script seems to die and spit a lot of
> stuff out to the screen-sometimes informative/sometimes not. i've
> generated files using redhat-config-kickstart that don't seem to
> work. i would have thought their own program would be valid. so i was
> wondering if there was a kickstart config validation tool out there
> somewhere?

	Kickstart has had some issues - but my experience has been that most
errors occur in my "custom" scripting.  YMMV - I will say that RH7.3 was WAY
messed up - using things like "--ondisk" in single drive systems and
specifying "--isencrypted" could sometimes cause errors.  But anaconda
always spits out pertinent info if you just read it!

	See my comments re: ~/install.log.syslog generated on kickstart
installs

	If you're doing a lot of kickstarting you need to join a few Red Hat
users lists (see the site) and do quite a bit of reading.  It's a very
powerful environment when handled right, but also not very forgiving to the
novice.

Don