[wplug] packet loss

Rick Smith rick at rbsmith.com
Tue Mar 4 17:19:41 EST 2003

> And how would I get and install a new driver?  I've never messed with
> Linux drivers before as this is the only Linux system I've used and all
> drivers were built in and I never had to mess with them.

First is to see what you need.  What kind of card / onboard net is it?
What does this output
  lspci | grep net

Next see what driver is in use.  My system picked the wrong one for
my card and I had lots of packet loss.  Using right driver really helped :)

What is the system configured to use?
On a RedHat and possibly other systems,

  grep eth /etc/modules.conf

Then grovel through logs to see what happens when it boots.
Either will be in the file /var/log/messages or seen when
running the command 'dmesg'.
If it's been a while since booting, then it may no longer
be in either place.

Something should be there about starting eth0 with a driver name /version.

-- Rick