[wplug] kickstart config redhat 8.0

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Tue Mar 4 10:54:44 EST 2003

John Harrold wrote:
> Sometime in March Vanco, Donald assaulted the keyboard and produced:
>
>> 	That's all up to the DHCP server - not the installer.
>
> i have hostnames in my dhcpd.conf file. for example:
>
> host level{
>    hardware ethernet XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;
>    fixed-address 192.168.0.215; }
>
> is there something here i need to change? if not how can i tell
> kickstart to use the host information?

	The issue with telling kickstart to do something is that you'll have
to make a "special" kickstart file with unique hostname info for every
server you load via kickstart - again, very inelegant not in the spirit of
kickstart.

	What you need to do is get your DHCP _server_ to set hostname.  See:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/custom-guide/s1-dhcp
-configuring-server.html or better still the man pages on your own server.
Basically - you need to have:

host my_host_hostname {
   option host-name "my_host_hostname.example.com";
   hardware ethernet 0X:X0:7X:8X:XE:XX;
   fixed-address XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX;
}

	....but there's no substitute for knowing what you're doing when it
comes to editing .conf files - you likely need to have better declarations
in other sections as well.

Don