[wplug] Open Source in China

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Mon Mar 3 19:15:41 EST 2003

Not to be overly negative, but Microsoft has long had differing policies
that would allow peeks at the source code.  Same with Sun.  The issue has
always been what you can do with that code - which has always been
essentially nothing.  I can look at a Ferrari on the showroom floor - even
peek under the hood.  That does not mean I'll ever get to drive it home,
paint flames on it, and install a blower.

Inking the deal with China is one thing - them actually doing anything with
it is another.  I would be amazed to see China re-ambrace Microsoft after
the inraods they've made with Linux - unless, of course, Microsoft gives
away the farm.

...and with 40 billion in liquid assets that's quite a possibility. There's
nothing Bill won't do to discredit Linux.

My $.02
Don

-----Original Message-----
From: William Lavin
To: WPLUG
Sent: 3/3/03 12:03 AM
Subject: [wplug] Open Source in China

Hey - another open source operating system -

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2003-02-28-china-windows_x.htm

They're new to this - it's probably full of bugs.  Maybe everybody could

FTP it and fix the bugs? Wonder how soon someone will release a distro?
 Wonder if the comments are in English or Chinese?