[wplug] PKG_CONFIG_PATH in ./configure?

Alexandros Papadopoulos apapadop at cmu.edu
Sun Jun 29 11:40:45 EDT 2003

On Sunday 29 June 2003 11:25, Russ Schneider wrote:
> Alexandros Papadopoulos wrote:
> > The configure script is suggesting that you do the following: (in
> > bash) $ export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig
>
> I'm sorry, I need more help than that.
>
> What do you mean "in bash"?

This is the exact command that does what the configure scripts suggests,
*if and only if* you use the bash shell. If you have a .bash_profile,
then yes, you probably use bash.
<tip1>
$ echo $SHELL
...shows you what you currently use.
</tip1>

> Do I type that at the promt?

Yup.

> I tried adding that to root's .bash_profile but that didn't work.

The profile gets read only when you open a new login shell. So you will
need to logout from that shell and open a new one with
# su -
(note the hyphen, which means "open a login shell" - man su for more)

<tip2>
Something that has nothing to do with this specific problem:
I'd bet that you don't *need* to be root to run the configure script.
Therefore you should do it as a normal user, and then only install the
program as root (since it will most likely want to write to system
directories). Just a "best practice" you might want to apply.
</tip2>

-A
--
http://andrew.cmu.edu/~apapadop/pub_key.asc
3DAD 8435 DB52 F17B 640F  D78C 8260 0CC1 0B75 8265