[wplug] ISP Recommendations

Gary Morrow gary.morrow at ansys.com
Fri Jun 27 16:05:27 EDT 2003

Rick Smith wrote:

>On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 01:47:06PM -0400, James O'Kane wrote:
>

>>I have used telerama and speakeasy each for a year or more. I didn't have
>>a problem with support from either of them.
>>[..]
>>-james
>>ADSL from Bell Atlantic 1998-1999
>>SDSL from Verio 1999-2000
>>SDSL from Speakeasy 2000-2002
>>ADSL from Telerama 2002-Present
>>Owner of about 10 different DSL modems. :)
>>

>James has me beat, no doubt!  I think I have 2.
>
>I used Verizon when it was new to them, and they provided a static ip.
>I've used Telerama since, and it has worked out well.  Recently, Verizon
>has offered twice the download speed as the base Telerama rate for about
>$14 less a month and using PPPoE.  That has caused quite some tension on
>the homefront.  My statements of "cool people" and "participate in
>wplug" and such doesn't do much against the roar of "TWICE the speed
>at a LOWER price!".  It's my understanding that Telerama pays Verizon
>more for a DSL line than Verizon is now charging customers.  Sounds
>like grounds for anti-trust to me.  Telerama folks say they are trying
>to work something out.  I hope they do it ... soon!

Its not "grounds for anti-trust" and if you are expecting things to
improve don't hold your breath.   This is the result of an FCC decision
back in Feburary.  The phone companies are no longer required to share
their lines with their competition at cost.

Here's a link to the slashdot rumination.

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/02/20/1848232&tid=103

Gary