[wplug] ISP Recommendations

Tim Quinlan tim at techfocus.net
Thu Jun 26 17:33:47 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-06-26 at 13:10, Mike Griffin wrote:

> ......As an alternative, I have checked into AT&T for a cable provider. As
> soon as they told me that the block all ports 1024 and below, and it
> would cost me an additional $250 a month to have them unblocked, I hung
> up the phone.

I have had Comcast (formerly AT&T) cable modem for over 3 years now and
have never had a problem running running services below 1024.  I
regularly see download speeds north of 200k.  Upload speeds are pretty
low (as is the case with most cable providers) so you might have
problems running a large website off it.

I it's about $40 per month, plus a few bucks extra for modem rental if
you need one.