[wplug] Mail server question - not dumb ;-p

James O'Kane jo2y at midnightlinux.com
Thu Jun 19 20:18:31 EDT 2003

On 19 Jun 2003, John Strange wrote:

> I'm not sure if the mail() function in php does a socket, or just dumps
> the file out to the local mail queue, but I would assume socket so that
> it doesn't care what SMTP it is long as it's RFC happy.

More likely it does neither. Dumping the file out to the local mail queue
wouldn't work because there is no guarenteed place the queue should be, or
even what format files in the queue are.

Connecting to a socket makes php responsible for internally queueing the
mail if that server is unavailable for whatever reason. In essense
becoming a MTA (Mail Transport Agent).

What PHP actually does is call a commandline program and passes the data
on to that. Often that commandline program is /usr/sbin/sendmail or
similar. I'm fairly sure that the popular sendmail replacements offer a
sendmail like tool for compatibility reasons.
(It's nice being first to market.)

-james