[wplug] PHP, MySQL, sendmail?

Scott Bourns scott at scottbourns.com
Thu Jun 19 08:59:33 EDT 2003

Okay, I need to do one thing with sendmail on my web server, but I can't
figure it out.

I want to use the PHP mail() function to send e-mail when entries are made
to certain databases from php-imbedded html pages. Nothing that crazy, but
I'm new to linux system admin., and can't find a resource that answers two
questions:

1. Do I need to configure client, server, or both for sendmail.

2. Where can I get a sample config to just send from local sources (php
calls) to an external mail server?

FYI I've gotten as far as how to alter configs, (via m4 module - sendmail.mc
etc.) but don't know what exactly I'm supposed to be altering.

Thanks in advance for any guidance - or just a shove in the direction of a
resource where I can learn more - for sendmail to be so popular for so long,
not much on the web to find out how to initially config - just
troubleshooting.

Scott