[wplug] telnet for email

billings at negate.org billings at negate.org
Tue Jun 17 15:11:43 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-06-17 at 14:27, Lance Tost wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, John Harrold wrote:
> > yeah, but i really love mutt. though i've thought about setting
> > squirrelmail up for my advisor and the other people in the lab. and it
> > would be more convenient when there is no ssh available.
>
> I actually have both set up.  I almost always ssh home and use pine but if
> I need to (ssh isn't available), I can get to my mail via Squirrelmail
> over ssl.  It's good because they both use the same folders (Sent in Pine
> is the same Sent I see in Squirrelmail)... the only downside is once I
> read my mail in squirrelmail, I need to restart pine (two IMAP clients
> accessing one mailbox simultaneously doesn't work well I guess so the
> mailbox gets closed on pine).  Not a big deal though.  Not sure about how
> Mutt stores its folders but you could check into it.

Mutt supports several different kinds of mailboxes, including mbox, MH
and maildir.  One of the reasons I moved away from using the uw-imap
server was because I hated having the folder-locking problems you
mentioned.  I use courier-imap for my IMAP server, and I've configured
my .procmail to deliver mail into Maildir-formatted mailboxes.

--
Jonathan S Billings <billings at negate.org>
TSFNKP