[wplug] telnet for email

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Tue Jun 17 14:57:18 EDT 2003

Sometime in June Lance Tost assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, John Harrold wrote:
| > yeah, but i really love mutt. though i've thought about setting
| > squirrelmail up for my advisor and the other people in the lab. and it
| > would be more convenient when there is no ssh available.
|
| I actually have both set up.  I almost always ssh home and use pine but if
| I need to (ssh isn't available), I can get to my mail via Squirrelmail
| over ssl.  It's good because they both use the same folders (Sent in Pine
| is the same Sent I see in Squirrelmail)... the only downside is once I
| read my mail in squirrelmail, I need to restart pine (two IMAP clients
| accessing one mailbox simultaneously doesn't work well I guess so the
| mailbox gets closed on pine).  Not a big deal though.  Not sure about how
| Mutt stores its folders but you could check into it.

i have mutt setup with different hooks. so for example when i send email to
one person sigfile_a is used but when i send email to someone else
sigfile_b is used. i also use mutts features to stick sentmail in
+sm/sent-mail-`date +'%Y-%b'` so this message will be in the folder
'~/mail/sm/sent-mail-2003-Jun'. also, all my addresses currently dump into
a mutt address book, i have save hooks based on different aspects of
message headers, integration of gpg is seemless.  there is a lot more that
mutt does, these are just a few examples. i guess i'm addicted. now,
webmutt, that would be handy.

                                               | /"\
 john harrold                                  | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
      jmh at member.fsf.org                    |  X  against HTML mail
           the most useful idiot               | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless,
 whether the mad destruction is brought under the name of totalitarianism or
 the holy name of liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E