[wplug] telnet for email

billings at negate.org billings at negate.org
Tue Jun 17 10:38:36 EDT 2003

begin  On Tue, 2003-06-17 at 10:33, Jason Sopko wrote:
> begin  Mike Griffin wrote:
> > Am I the only person that uses telnet to send and receive their email
> > out of the office, or away from home?
>
> It's easier to connect to a server somewhere via ssh and
> install/configure mutt for your mailboxes. It's rather silly to telnet
> to pop3/imap to retrieve messages and then telnet again to smtp to
> send/reply to messages. Not to mention that you're doing everything in
> clear text instead of using ssh/mutt which will allow you to do things
> in a more secure fashion.

Although there are people who will use all sorts of secure networking,
like encrypted VPNs and ssh, only to log into a system and use
unencrypted mail through mutt or pine, sending their password in the
clear over the network they tried so hard to secure.
--
Jonathan S Billings <billings at negate.org>
TSFNKP