[wplug] RH7.3 GUI login problem

Frank W. Holden Jr. frank.holden at attbi.com
Mon Jun 16 20:02:33 EDT 2003

OK, iuts time for me to start answering...

James, YES I can login because I do it from a second machine on the
network via SSh... And, yes, you are right about modprobe, that is
associated with with apm_bios... Strange though, it found the the
module again... I didn't think it was lost... hehehe

Bob, no the HDD's were not full. I was max'd at 62% so it isn't in the
future... BUT, I did do some cleaning anyway! It needed it!!!

John, you so far have come the closest... YES, I did put it on a
different monitor, but the thing is the first thing I did was to log
in as root and I can get in. When I try to get in under my own account
it will not go. It goes through the motions and when the screen
flickers like going to the logged in GUI, it bombs out and puts me
back to the login prompt. The root account doesn't do this!

I was thinking about the .Xauthority file not being correct, but it
looks OK... Now under the .xsession-errors I get this:

xsetroot:  unable to open display 'mach1:0.0='
xmodmap:  unable to open display 'mach1:0.0='
/usr/X11R6/bin/xmbind:  Can't open display

Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: mach1:0.0=
SESSION_MANAGER=local/mach1.holden-on.net:/tmp/.ICE-unix/2480

Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: mach1:0.0=

The thing is, none of the files have changed access times except this
one and I haven't changed anything on the server except to remove
several, thought to be, needless programs installed originally at
conception of the machine... Does anyone think that what I had taken
out could have had a dependency to one of these? I still have a list
of installed packages prior to removal. I can diff a newly created one
against this older one and reinstall. I inspected the package
dependencies prior to removal and did not catch anything referencing
Gtk or xmbind.

I just don't want to add back all these packages and suck my drive
space back down to 62%. It isn't that large of a drive to be playing
too many games with juggling packages.

Again, Thanks in advance!
Frank

John Strange wrote:
> Just curious,
>
> Did you put it on a new monitor by chance?
>
> - John
>
> On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 01:28, Bob Schmertz wrote:
>
>>Frank W. Holden Jr. incurred the wrath of Bob on Jun 15, by saying
>>

>>>HOWDIE folks! Just run across a problem and my gray matter turned to
>>>jello... I have moved my server 10 ft from where it was to where it is
>>>presently. When I tried to log in as root to make sure all was working
>>>fine, it was! Then when I was logging as myself, this is in init 5, I
>>>can not get logged in. The screen keeps coming back to the login
>>>prompt as if I used the wrong password and I KNOW I didn't. I can log
>>>into the machine via ssh using my username and password, which is the
>>>SAME one I used within at the GUI prompt. This is what I get in my
>>
>>Check if any partitions are full (using df).  You can have trouble
>>logging into X if there's no room to write to /tmp (usually)

"When business interferes with pleasure, give up business!!!"-fwh-

<->     The future of "ALL MANKIND" lies within himself!        <->
<-> Until he figures out who he is, then he can never know me,  <->
<->     and to know me is to know the WORLD... -fwh-            <->
<->                           frankh at zelie.com                  <->
<->                           Some dumb Ham radio operator      <->
Disclaimer:<standard dodo.c>