[wplug] new kid in town

Russ Schneider russpgh at stargate.net
Mon Jun 16 15:43:44 EDT 2003

Shawn Henderson wrote:

> Although Open Office is really a hog and keeps locking up the PC's. Are
> there any ideas on a windoze compatible office suite that is kinda lean.
> I know star office but to complex of a learning curve for these users
> and kde office is just not good enough yet. Any help would be
> appreciated.

Are you running KDE on these workstations?  I noticed that when I
initially started with KDE on my machine, apps like OpenOffice would be
a drag.  They never locked up, but the drag was noticeable.

I switched my GUI to IceWM, which is a MUCH leaner GUI and found that
while OpenOffice still takes forever to load, everything runs much
lighter.

Since I don't know of a good substitute for OpenOffice, perhaps you
might wanna try a substitute GUI.  No desktop icons, but it's highly
configurable and has a start menu type menu for those Windows dependants.

Screen shot:
http://candidate.zhrodague.net/mandrake_9_1.png

--
Russ Schneider (a.k.a. Sugapablo)