[wplug] redhat kernel woes

bgtrio at yahoo.com bgtrio at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 15 11:07:11 EDT 2003

Much frustration trying to build custom kernels for my redhat boxen this
weekend.

If you are a Redhat user, two things that I found challenging to learn,
perhaps someone will be spared some frustration by my experience:

1. the config file that comes with the Redhat kernel source package has
ext3 set as a module. It seems that the kernel won't boot this way if your
root partition is ext3 - you have to edit the config file to have ext3 set
to "y" instead of "m".  This was especially frustrating because the config
files that come with it are supposed to be the ones the stock kernel were
built with, but I don't see how that could be the case.

2. when you run make install for the kernel, the root partition will be
identified in grub.conf as "root=LABEL=/". This won't help you unless you
know how to change the LABEL appropriately - I don't. I found some
misleading advice that told me to change this to "root=LABEL=/dev/hda2"
since my root partition is on /dev/hda2, but that didn't work either.
Don't believe everything google tells you :) Finally, I tried

"root=/dev/hda2"

and behold, it worked.

I'm still having some trouble getting my modules to work. As yet I have no
network access with the new kernels - in fact none of my modules seem to
load at boot time and I'm not sure why. I was told that I have to run make
modules install before running make install for the kernel itself, which I
did.

I would love to hear any advice you may have as to how to get my modules
to load properly.

Finally, a related question- if I wanted to build a vanilla kernel but
keep the options from my redhat configuration, I fear there may be
inconsistencies between the configuration files.  Is there an established
procedure for salvaging as much as one can from an existing config file
and only asking about options that are not already set?

Bryguy