[wplug] man font problem - RH8

Scott Eicher Scott.Eicher at e-Profile.com
Fri Jun 13 12:19:31 EDT 2003

I'm having a strange font problem in RH8. We have it installed on a couple
servers here and when we try to bring up a man page, say for ls we get these
type of strange characters in the page:
NAME
       ls â list directory contents
âa, ââall
              do not hide entries starting with .

These servers have been upgraded from RH 7.1 or 7.2. I was able to fix the
problem on one server by upgrading the groff package from an older version
to groff-1.18-6. The other servers already have the 1.18-6 version and when
I try to force an upgrade with the command rpm -Uvh --force groff*.rpm it
doesn't seem to fix the problem, the man pages still have the strange fonts.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Scott Eicher