[wplug] computer use for the young

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Fri Jun 13 10:31:58 EDT 2003

Jt Chiodi wrote:
> I didn't bother reading much of links present by Brad.  I started the
> first one and lost interest pretty quick.  If you think the opinion
> that Brad presents is odd, then mine will probably seem way out there.
>
> In our house the is no functioning TV.  My two boys have never
> watched a TV program or video tape or movie.  One is pre-school age,
> but neither will see  the inside of a school until they are college
> age if we can swing it.  We plan to home school.  We haven't decided
> what role if any that the computer will play in our home school.  We
> have at this point decided not use a computer to present the material
> we are teaching.  We also are not letting them play games on the
> computer.  Why?  Well I couldn't begin to list all of our reasons,
> but like anything else it is a matter of personal choice.
>

> It is working for us that is all that really matters.

A random comment since this is getting way off topic....

A tire iron can change tires or cave in heads - it's a tool, and it's all in
what you do with it.  In and  of itself, a television or a computer are not
evil... it's all up to the parents.  To deprive a hungry mind a potential
portal of learning because of it's potential misuses is pretty lame.  Hiding
all the tire irons in the world won't stop someone that's prone to caving in
heads from caving in heads, it just means they'll have to find other
means.....  Ideally, parents work so that their kids have no desire to cave
in heads, yet still be capable of changing a tire.

Don