[wplug] computer use for the young

Gentgeen gentgeen at linuxmail.org
Thu Jun 12 23:49:20 EDT 2003

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 23:18:01 -0400
"gonffen" <gonffen at gonffen.cjb.net> wrote:

> [...]
(I deleted the rest, to large for what I have to say)

I just felt like I had to respond to this one, since I am a teacher, and
a father (see my earlier post)

I think what is important to remeber here is that the computer is a
TOOL, not a REPLACEMENT.  The argument put forth by Brad reminds me a
lot of the arguement that "our kids" watch to much TV.  If the computer
games are used as an addition to the traditional - it is of _GREAT_
benifit.  It can't be a _replacement_.

For example, as I said in an earlier post in this thread, my daughter
has become a rather proficent computer user at the young age of 4.
She is also an avid watcher of Nick, Disney, Noggin, etc.  At one
point, she began showing interest in speaking spanish.  Since I never
took it in HS, I couldn't help.  My wife had taken it, but could only
remember some things.  So we went out and bought Jump-Starts Language
program. This game has Spanish, English, Japanese and French (I think
that is the 4th one).  This feed her desire even more.  Now I talk to
the Spanish teacher at school so I can bring her home new words and
phrases.  Once again, the computer has _augmented_ the traditional.

A second example would be at school. I am a HS Math teacher.  I use the
computer for _augmenting_ my lessons.  I could not possible
buy/find/gather the amount of resources that 1 google search can do.
It is so much easier now to show them WHY the pythagorean theorem works,
not just HOW.  Or who was Napier and why he is important. (just some
examples)  Also using something like Math Blaster, or any other "drill
and practice" site and/or game for remediation is great.  Kids know
instantally if they are right or wrong - not have to wait.

These are just a small sample of the benifits I see.  But it all comes
in moderation.  My daughter still loves to go outside everyday (even
with all the rain lately (-: ) and play with her friends.  I still teach
with a board, books and paper.

THE COMPUTER IS A TOOL, NOT A REPLACEMENT.

---Just my $0.02---