[wplug] up2date replacement

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Fri Jun 13 00:09:35 EDT 2003

Sometime in June James O'Kane assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| On Thu, 12 Jun 2003, John Harrold wrote:
| >
| > i know it's not the same thing, but have you tried apt4rpm?
| >
| > i use it in our lab and it works really well.
|
| How big is your lab? I know we have a few hundred machines to manage at my
| job, and Jonathan has many many more.
|
| The up2date server allows you to push[1] updates out to clients which is
| much easier to deal with that than apt's pull method. I think it also
| allows you to keep a listing of machines, and groups and stuff.

well. our lab is quite modest. we have about 15 or 20 machines. the
different machines all have our servers ssh key in their athorized keys'
key file. so i can ssh to all of the different computers without a
password. then i have an xml file on the server which describes the
different machines. using this xml file and a perl script running on the
server i do the updates. something like:

ssh root at machine  apt-get update; apt-get upgrade;

among other things, can be done. now what i'm doing isnt very fancy, but
you could probably fork off the processes 10 at a time or so. with ssh and
perl i can push pretty much whatever i want to the different computers. i
have a script that i run after installation which sets up the keys based on
files available via nfs. the post install script also initializes apt and
some other stuff.

                                               | /"\
 john harrold                                  | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
      jmh at member.fsf.org                    |  X  against HTML mail
           the most useful idiot               | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless,
 whether the mad destruction is brought under the name of totalitarianism or
 the holy name of liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E