[wplug] Audio: Compression Utility?

Russ Schneider russpgh at stargate.net
Thu Jun 12 17:03:55 EDT 2003

Yeah, what I said... :)

Your quote said:
> When you normalize a file, you alter its overall volume so that the
> highest-level peak in the file reaches a defined limit. The entire signal
> is adjusted in the same proportion, which does not change the relative
> amplitudes of the frequencies within the signal. If the highest peak is at
> the selected limit, the rest of the signal will also be at its highest
> possible level without clipping (distortion) and without affecting the
> overall sound quality.

I said:
"Normalization does not remove spikes, it simply brings the volume up
until the largest spike reaches the point just before clipping.  All
levels remain relative to each other. "

Your quote said:
> Compression, in contrast, is used to fit a large signal into a small
> dynamic space by squashing the signal's dynamic range so that the peaks
> are not excessive.

I said:
"I'm talking about taking an audio file and compressing it, evening out
the levels, preventing harsh spikes."

Now we just have to find a good Linux tool for this. :)