[wplug] Audio: Compression Utility?

Robert E. Coutch recoutch at usaor.net
Thu Jun 12 16:26:08 EDT 2003

Are you sure you want compression?

Your original message stated you wanted to remove spikes, etc.
Normalization does this by bringing the levels to a common amount
depending on the sources.  If you have a bunch of .wav's with good
levels and one with some spikes, normalizing them will bring levels down
in the spiked file.

If you compress the .wav, all levels will be forced to a common level.
This will sound like crap unless you decompress later.

Compression is good for Ham Radio and guitars but not for an MP3 encoded
song.

IMHO

-Bob