[wplug] recovering /usr/bin?

Vanco, Donald VANCOD at PIOS.com
Thu Jun 12 09:28:25 EDT 2003

Wonderful.

On my Gentoo laptop I just had Nautilus segfault while moving files into
/usr/bin/ - and now my system is fairly nuked.  Pretty much every useful
command is gone (less, cat, find, (s)locate, emerge, prozilla, ftp, ssh,
which, etc, etc, etc).  I do not have any backups, and even emerge is gone.
It's taken me 2 months to get my laptop to this point of functionality - am
I looking at a reload?  With RPM, I could simply run a "-Va" and it would
tell me what files/packages have been nuked - does Gentoo offer me anything
similar (keeping in mind that I don't even have emerge anymore)?

I have no idea how I'm going to move files back and forth to this box....
(wait - yes, I can still ftp _to_ it)  Can someone contact me off list and
volunteer to tar up at least a few of the binaries mentioned above and email
them to me?

>From a precursory glance it appears that, at a minimum, I need to (re)emerge
every package listed above.

At this point, it's been a tough enough row to hoe (ho?) with Gentoo that if
I'm looking at a reload I'm going to say F-it and switch back to Red Hat....
I love /learning/ Linux, but I really like /using/ it much more....

Don