[wplug] dhcpcd problem

Mike Procario lists at procario.org
Wed Jun 11 20:09:15 EDT 2003

I have a Linksys wusb11 wireless network adapter on my Mandrake 8.2 box. It
talks to a D-Link 713P wireless router. The D-Link 713P  acts as a DHCP server.
Yesterday I started having network problems. After much work I discovered that
my IP address was set wrong. ifconfig eth1 reported my address was 192.168.1.105.
My D-Link 713P uses a fixed mapping and it is supposed to supply 192.168.0.105.
It turned out that dhcpcd failed and fell back to the last IP address it knew, which
was wrong.

The net effect of this was that I could not reach anything on the internert or my
internal network. I was able to ping the D-Link 713P but I was not able to access
its web interface.

I switched to a static IP address and I am back on line, so it is clear that the
wrong IP address is my problem. I am trying to figure out what dhcpcd is doing
wrong and how to fix it. The only error message I get is

Jun 11 19:44:19 localhost dhcpcd.exe: interface eth1 has been configured with
old IP=192.168.1.105

Any suggestion of how to debug or fix dhcpcd.

Mike