[wplug] MySQL help?

Rick Smith rick at rbsmith.com
Mon Jun 9 15:19:25 EDT 2003

On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 01:18:08PM -0400, Scott Bourns wrote:
> Problem: I can log in from localhost, via telnet or terminal, and do
> whatever I want to the tables I'm testing; but I can't access the MySQL
> tables remotely and a simple PHP page with mysql_connect() returns:
>
> Fatal error :  Call to undefined function:  mysql_connect() in
> /var/www/html/mysqltest.php on line 2
>
> Here is my status from MySQL:
>
> mysql> status;
> --------------
> mysql  Ver 11.18 Distrib 3.23.52, for pc-linux-gnu (i686)
>
> Connection id:          9
> Current database:
> Current user:           root at localhost
> Current pager:          stdout
> Using outfile:          ''
> Server version:         3.23.52
> Protocol version:       10
> Connection:             Localhost via UNIX socket
> Client characterset:    latin1
> Server characterset:    latin1
> UNIX socket:            /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

I would expect the socket to be something like an IP and port
if it is to be accessed remotely.

I don't know mysql.  Look around in your conf files.

Here's what it looks like in a postgres setup:

in postgresql.conf, set:

  tcpip_socket = true
  # also set if you do not want default
  #port = 5432

in pg_hba.conf, set:

  local        all                                           trust
  host         all         127.0.0.1     255.255.255.255     trust
  host         all         <your-net>    255.255.255.0       trust

where you change <your-net> to be IP machines / networks to trust.

-- Rick