[wplug] Distro survey

Bob Schmertz rschmertz at speakeasy.net
Sun Jun 8 23:38:08 EDT 2003

>breakdown of what Linux distributions are being used and for what
>purpose.  Has this been done in the past?

Gentoo-PPC at home, with GNOME completely b0rken and not enough drive
space to download KDE.

At work I'm working on a data processing/archiving system that includes
9 Red Hat Advanced Server nodes.  Also do my development work for
another project on a Red Hat (currently 7.3) box, even though we don't
oficially support a Linux port of our software.

Re M$-free: Of course, my workplace uses the "industry standard" for
document formats, and I've had very bad luck in getting those to open
correctly in OpenOffice.org (not that that they wouldn't open, just that
something was always funky about how they opened) that I doubt I could
make the move at work and set my own PC up with a better OS.  On my
laptop, I do have IE on my OS X side, though I have removed the shortcut
from the panel (whatever they call it) to remove the temptation from
those who might be borrowing my laptop.