[wplug] Distro survey

Carl Benedict cbenedic at pittsburghtechs.com
Sun Jun 8 18:15:21 EDT 2003

RH8 / Win2k dual boot on my home office PC (the Win2k is for LAN parties
=-)  I RARELY ever even use Win2k, since many of my games run in Linux
as well (Return to Castle Wolfenstien, RtCW: Enemy Territory, Quake 3,
UT2k3), and when I do it is simply because I do not want to install
WINE.  I like to do digital multitracking as well, and there are some
decent open source apps (GNUSound, Audacity, cdda2wav tools, OGG, etc),
but they aren't quite CoolEdit Pro 2000 yet :(

FreeBSD for my firewall/gateway/mail server/web server

RH8 / Win2k on my Dell laptop.

As far as wireless, I have attempted to setup 802.11b with a Symbol
card.  It seems to work under RH8, but the only thing is that I believe
I'm not getting 128bit encryption working right yet.... but that's
another story :)

I've tried SuSE, Slack, Debian, Mandrake, and RH as far as linux.  So
far, I like RH best, though each seems to have its
advantages/disadvantages.  My next step is probably going to be to try
FreeBSD on my desktop.  I've really enjoyed using it the last few years
as a server, so I want to give it a shot. :)

I will be 100% Microsoft free when:

- There is an app that does everything I need (so far, so good, getting
close!)
- I can run most of the games I like to play in some way (which I
probably could, but haven't yet taken the time)

Hopefully, this will be soon :-D