[wplug] Distro survey

Tim Lesher tim at lesher.ws
Sun Jun 8 15:23:53 EDT 2003

On Sun, Jun 08, 2003 at 10:11:01AM -0400, Jim LaSalle wrote:
> So many new names on the list. It would be interesting to see what the
> breakdown of what Linux distributions are being used and for what
> purpose.  Has this been done in the past?

Work: Redhat 7.2, 8.0, 9.0
Home: Redhat 9.0, Mandrake 8.0 (through inertia)

I used to be a strictly Debian person (my college roommate was
involved with the Debian project early on), but I tired of the long
time between releases.  I've tried Mandrake (nice, but RedHat has
caught up in terms of usability) and Gentoo (utterly failed on my
machine at the time).  I've also used Knoppix, but it's more a toy for
me than anything.

Way back in the day, I played with both Slackware and SLS, but that
was back before the linux kernel broke version 1.0...

Now that my main machine is a laptop, I'll probably migrate to the
first distribution that supports wireless networks as well as Windows
XP does, though (Mandrake 9.1, RedHat 9.0. and Knoppix have all
failed). :-) -- Tim Lesher <tim at lesher.ws> http://www.lesher.ws