[wplug] Security Policy

Bob Schmertz rschmertz at speakeasy.net
Thu Jun 5 20:18:51 EDT 2003

Scott Eicher incurred the wrath of Bob on Jun 5, by saying

>Hello all,

[snip general request mentioning that this is Red Hat]

>Force users to create an 8 digit alpha numeric "strong" password and not
>accept simple passwords or dictionary passwords.

The passwd utility does give warnings, but I couldn't find a way to
actually make it force the use of certain types of passwords.

>Do not allow users to set a password that was used in the last year and
>prevent users from changing a newly created password for 2 days.

chage takes care of the second half of this one, but I don't know about
the first.  Out of curiosity, why would you want to prevent a user from
updating his password twice in a short period of time?

>When we set a user's password we need it to expire and prompt the user for a
>new password upon logging in.
>Lock user accounts after 3 unsuccessful attempts to login.

Don't know.

>Users must be forced to change their password every 30 days.

Again, chage.

Couldn't find any info about the others.  I've never had to implement
password policies, so I don't know much about it.  Anyone should feel
free to add to this.

--
Cheers,
Bob Schmertz