[wplug] VNC/X-Win32 alternative

Brian Sammon brians+ at cs.cmu.edu
Thu Jun 5 17:47:07 EDT 2003

> > If you don't like the mouse, why use X at all?
>
> I hope you were joking.
>
> I dont know about the OP, but I run Linux on my laptop, which has a
> touch pad-based pointer interface.  I don't use the mouse except when
> it's necessary.
>
> Until you can find me a machine that will do 200x80 characters (like
> the xterm I'm typing in right now) in console mode, or a non-X,

This is definitely possible in Linux.  The main stumbling point is that
most of the documentation on how to do high-res console text modes is
quite bad.

If anyone is interested in this, I could probably help them figure it out
at the meeting this Saturday.

If I can find a few hours of free time, I could turn this into an official
WPLUG meeting topic...  If there's interest...