[wplug] linux-friendly computer stores

Brady Hunsaker hunsaker at isye.gatech.edu
Thu Jun 5 13:22:52 EDT 2003

Hi,

I'll be moving to Pittsburgh in August, taking a job at Pitt.
Hopefully I'll make it to some wplug user meetings once I'm there.

In the meantime, I'm hoping for some advice.  Can people recommend
Linux-friendly computer stores where I can buy a custom computer?
Specifically, I'll want a desktop for work that will run GNU/Linux
only, so I don't want to pay for an operating system, for example (I
plan to install the OS myself).  What's most important is a place with
reasonable service that will be around in case there are any hardware
problems.  Preferably in or near Pittsburgh.  Also, I'll use this
computer for computational jobs, so I'll want more processing power
than the average home user.

I need to take care of this before I arrive so I can have my
department order it in advance.  The people in my department all run
Windows and tend to order from Gateway and Dell, which I would prefer
to avoid.

Where have you had good experiences?  Or bad experiences?  Again, I'm
looking for recommendations for stores, not for specific hardware
recommendations.

Thanks,
Brady

p.s. I'm on the list, so you don't need to reply to me personally
unless you're not posting to the list.
Brady Hunsaker
Georgia Institute of Technology
Program in Algorithms, Combinatorics, and Optimization
School of Industrial and Systems Engineering

E-mail address:   hunsaker at isye.gatech.edu