[wplug] X-Win32 alternative

Sean McCune sean at redhandsoftware.com
Mon Jun 2 15:50:29 EDT 2003

Actually, I'm running the latest XFree86 that is distributed with
cygwin, and if you start it with startxwin.bat or startxwin.sh, it runs
each X app in its own "MS Windows" window. This is starting XWin with
the -multiwindow option (the default).  If you don't use
startxwin.sh/.bat, but instead use "startx", then you get the "X in a
box" as you described.

Of course, the only drawback to -multiwindow mode is that you are
letting MS windows be the window manager, so you can't run mwm, twm,
openbox, or wmaker, etc.  You can't have your cake and eat it, too.

But you still need xwinclip for clipboard interaction.

McC