[wplug] this is just wrong

sendai sendai at systemsecuritysolutions.com
Thu Jul 31 19:40:59 EDT 2003

The years from 1995-2000 in IT were a nightmare for me. Yes, it was nice
being able to pick and choose my job and yes, I had the position of
power during interviews and salary negotiations, but at the same time I
had to deal with a legion of brainless idiots who decided that since
they played video games they run a network. Unfortunately, the HR people
agreed with them.

This lead to the hiring by many US companies of hundreds of thousands of
people who simply had no clue about what they were doing. It fell on
people like me to pick up ALL of the slack. Even today there are masses
of people being lied to by technical schools and graduated by the
thousands every month.

I recently assisted a tech school with a security issue and while I was
there I struck up some conversation with several instructors and
discovered that they had just graduated from the last class! So now
there are going to be at least 250 more 'tech workers' on the market who
paid $4000+ to learn how to live in the IT world, by people who have
never worked in IT.

It's no surprise to me that 600,000 people in IT lost their jobs and
can't find work. When employers actually started to look at
qualifications again, they didn't stand a chance. I personally have
several companies actively seeking to hire me and making me written
offers of employment every month. It's not because I'm some kind of
wunderkind, it's simply because I actually have real experience in the
industry, a good knowledge of the subject matter and a proven track
record of successful projects.

The point is that gauging the size of the IT employment market by
comparison with the heady (read idiotic) final days of the last
millennium just doesn't make sense.

---