[wplug] this is just wrong

Brian Medley bpm-list-wplug at 4321.tv
Thu Jul 31 18:53:22 EDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 02:45:10PM -0700, redtoade wrote:

> So... are they suggesting that we stop issuing
> employment visas to any foreigners in the high tech
> field?  First off, that just smacks of old school

The article states that 600,000 IT jobs were lost in the US in 2001 and
2002.  If my understanding is correct, the employment visas were designed
to fill a labor shortage.  So, given that we are not in a labor shortage,
why should we continue to issue the same number of visas as recent years?

> reactionary Republicanism.  Secondly, the problem
> isn't that immigration is taking away jobs but that
> jobs themselves are being exported.  Thirdly, the

One point...Is immigration the same thing as getting a visa?  Isn't the
point of a visa to work temporarily in one place and go back to your
origins and immigration is a permanent move?  Sure, there are people w/
visas who want to immigrate, but I would think that the majority will
eventually go back to wherever in a few years.

Anyways, do you really not think that the visa issue is a problem?  If so,
why not?  I agree with you that the exportation of jobs is definitely an
issue, however.

> current job slump in the high tech fields can also be
> attributed to the "dot com bubble burst" where
> everyone and their uncle sought the get rich quick in
> the computer field career... (ie. supply seriously
> outweighs demand.)

Most definitely agreed...It is not one thing causing all the problems...

> So his answer seems pretty good actually.  One could
> interpret it as "You chose the wrong career, there's
> no work for you here.  You may want to consider
> retraining in a different profession."  And that's
> probably not such a bad suggestion.

I do not see how "...a lot of times worker skills don't keep up with
technological change." is the same as saying "there are simply few jobs in
that career field right now".  To me, one says "there are jobs, but you
don't have the necessar skill set to acquire it" and the other says "right
now there are no jobs".  Did I mis-interpret what you said?

> Of course I'm also willing to bet that the IEEE isn't
> collecting nearly the membership dues revenue from
> India asit is from the U.S., which might explain their
> concern for lost jobs here in the states...

perhaps...

--